The Greek Volcanic Island
Santorini is famous not only for it’s unique sunset and the spectacular Caldera. A series of fine, local products which can be found only on this beautiful Aegean Island, make it a global culinary destination.This box contains some of Santorini’s most exceptional ”secrets”, which promise to take you on a journey to the most intense local flavors on the Aegean islands.
The box contains:
– Yellow split peas P.D.O
– Vinsanto P.D.O dessert wine
All this accompanied by an easy recipe to live the Greek way experience at it’s best.
The local recipe
• 400g yellow split peas (18 ounces)
• 3 red onions, roughly chopped
• 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
• 1 lt warm water (3 and 1/3 cups)
• juice of 2 lemons
• 1/3 of a cup olive oil
• thyme, salt and freshly pepper.
1. Rinse the split peas with plenty of water.
2. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat, add 2-3 tbsps olive oil, the chopped onions, garlic and some fresh thyme and sauté.
3. As soon as the onions start to caramelise add the peas and blend. Pour in the warm water and the olive oil, turn the heat down to medium and season well with salt and pepper. Simmer with the lid on for about 40-50 minutes, until the split peas are thick and mushy. While the split peas boil, some white foam will probably surface on the water. Remove the foam with a slotted spoon.
4. When done, pour in the lemon juice and transfer the mixture in food processor. Mix, until the peas become smooth and creamy, like a puree.
5. Serve the fava with a drizzle of olive oil, a tablespoon of diced onion and some capper or chopped parsley. Enjoy!
TIP: This delicious and easy side dish goes great with Vinsanto, the traditional dessert wine of Santorini.